Hello,

I work in the Kumaun Himalayas and have just migrated to Linux. I am using Ubuntu 8.04 LTS as the operating system.

I must confess, that I am fairly computer illiterate and therefore despite knowing that there is a lot of information available on the web, am unable to solve some of my problems. Could you help? Here are my problems 1. I have Clam TK Virus Scanner loaded. To get updates it says that I have to be "root". How do I solve this? 2. I have a reliance data card - ZTE MC315+ which plugs into the PCMIA slot. I cannot get it to work on my machine. I managed to load the software using Wine but when I try and operate the programme the message reads - "R Connect Card not found please reinsert". 3. If I try to make changes to /etc../wvin.config it does not save it and says that I am not permitted to do so. 4. I use an old IBM laptop and it does not have a built in wireless ability. I used a USB wireless device manufactured by Netgear but I cannot get that to work either.

Could you please help? While I do have some access to a BSNL broadband connection - it is unreliable and requires me to be connected directly to the machine. I would be happy to call any of you, if you send me a number and to follow your advice while I am at the machine.

Thanks

Madhavan