From: shirish <shirisha...@gmail.com>
Subject: [ilugd] blog post about freed.in day 2
Hi all,
 Day 2 now online (sans photos) apologize for the same.

http://flossexperiences.wordpress.com/2009/02/27/freed-day-2/
         Shirish Agarwal

Hi all,

Dear Shirish,

I read your posts about freed.in day-2. A few things I wish to point
out regarding your take on my talk.

From your post http://flossexperiences.wordpress.com/2009/02/27/freed-day-2/

The real story which he forgot was that the year after, ERNET was up and shell accounts were >starting to give people which dried up the business of BBS overtime.

Not something I forgot but was actually aware of. It would've made
sense to include, if I was giving an elaborate account of the
"business" history of BBS overtime. My whole point was how people got
together on the boards(i cant call it the internet :-)) for speaking
against something they didn't like or thought was unfair and how it
actually resulted in action on ground. My not including or as you say
"forgetting" what happened to the BBS "business" after that does not
dispute my claim in any way. Also, I thought it to be irrelevant to
the given context.

His 2 second plug www.indiasopinion.com as his take on where this can be taken forward.

This is completely misunderstood. Maybe I did not do well enough to
get my point across clearly to you. If you asked Kishore, I think he
would recall that after the first volunteer meet, I had quite a
detailed discussion with him regarding my talk. I even asked him if I
should completely remove any mention of my "2 second plug" as the idea
was to bring forward the research that showed how the information we
seek online is directly proportional to the opinions we form and
communicate. And how these two also happen to be the primary
activities of all users. My effort was to pitch these ideas and
research to an audience with way more advanced technical skills than
mine, so that they could try and decide how it can be taken forward.
Sadly, as of now my skills are limited to system/network
administration. I am not(yet) a developer. The only little
contributions I could make were via Wordpress, which I had been
checking out for some time. Hence, my "2 second plug" which I think is
by no means conclusive. A lot can and I think needs to be done to take
this forward.

My take, watch out for wordpress+buddypress, that should be a killer thing to look at ;)

Great. Thanks for letting me know of this. Looks very good. Perhaps if
it could be integrated via a facebook app, the problem of first
establishing a large user base would diminish.

Regards,
guru

Abhishek Nandakumar
http://xabhishek.com