--- On Mon, 13/4/09, navneet sharma <navneetlinuxexp...@gmail.com> wrote:

From: navneet sharma <navneetlinuxexp...@gmail.com>
Subject: [ilugd] virus for linux
To: ilugd@lists.linux-delhi.org
Date: Monday, 13 April, 2009, 11:54 AM

*A Word on Computer Viruses
*Viruses are, by definition, malicious pieces of code that replicate
themselves. They can do this through a variety of methods, including
infecting  other executable files or disseminating macros and other forms of
executable content.Viruses are most commonly spread by users sharing files,
particularly through email, and also other means. Viruses are well known to
have been causing problems to the Windows users.
But the question remains, Are there any Linux virus? And if yes, should I
worry??? The answer is yes to the first question and no to the second one.
Let me tell you my experience. On my dual boot home PC I primarily work on
Linux partition but ocassionally have to boot into the Windowspartition
(usually to do such works like checking a MS Word document's formatting, a
document that was originally made using Linux/OpenOffice.org Writer and
saved as a MS Wordfile; this is another issue where a user is forced to use
such proprietary software, because a particular agency needs a document in a
proprietary format however).

Coming back to the original issue, I almost always find some new virus that
has infected the Windows partition. These viruses either creap in through
the e-mail or shared folders over the network and mainly through pen drive
now a days.
But I have never had a single incidence of a Linux virus attack in my Linux
box. Though, the fact remains, that viruses for Linux do exist but you can
count them on your finger tips. This article tries to enlist and explain
these known Linux viruses and some of the antivirus software available. *

Known Linux Viruses?*

   - Linux.Bliss
   - Linux.Diesel
   - Linux.Gildo
   - Linux.Kagob
   - Linux.Nuxbee
   - Linux.Satyr
   - Linux.Vit.4096
   - Linux.Winter
   - Linux.Zipworm

Thanks for this great piece of information.

-- amit

http://messenger.yahoo.com/invite/