On Sunday 03 May 2009, Gora Mohanty wrote:
> On Sun, 3 May 2009 11:29:52 +0530
> Raj Mathur <r...@linux-delhi.org> wrote:
> [...]
>
> > Nope, that host doesn't respond to pings anymore.  I guess
> > VSNL/Tata got tired of having every Internet user in India use
> > their server as a test case :)
>
> [...]
>
> What? Next you will say that "ping google.com" is not an
> acceptable way to check if one's network isn't working.

Ah yes, it is, but it won't tell you if the problem is in your network
or just the DNS.  OTOH, if you compare:
  ping <known-ip>
with
  ping google.com
you can tell from the combination whether your network or just DNS is
misconfigured.

> Another interesting thing that I have noted of late is
> that Tata Indicom silently drops pings (to, say google.com)
> if the ping interval is large, i.e.,
>   ping -i 10 google.com
> will work, but
>   ping -i 15 google.com
> will just sit there, and never respond. Why would someone
> do that?

Fortunately not a Tata customer (oh, those horror stories -- if
Hitchcock had been alive he'd be making movies on the Indian Internet
Experience), but this just doesn't make sense.  One possibility is to
test with -n, and see if it's a reverse resolver issue.

Regards,

-- Raju
--
Raj Mathur                r...@kandalaya.org      http://kandalaya.org/