On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 1:55 PM, Sudev Barar <sba...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have made a script that starts netcat repeatedly in listen mode. Once
> incoming data is started the script fires off another NC instance and
> previous NC process then dies when data string ends. I want to count how
> many netcat processes were launched during a particular testing period.
>
> One option is to build a counter before firing up each instance of netcat.
> Any other method? I would not like to touch the netcat launch script right
> now.

If this is what you're looking for: `ps -aef | grep netcat | wc -l` ?
But this will give you one extra result, as `grep netcat` will also be
counted as another running process. You can make necessary  modifications to
it and get the correct result. Hope that helps.

--
Regards
Chirag Anand

Blog :http://techfreaks4u.com/blog