HI
 I filled my ITR online yesterday. First of all the excel utility provided
by Income tax dept has a lot of macros which do not run on Open Office :(
After much struggling I had to resort back to M$ Excel.
Even in Excel macros security needs to be set to 'Low' and then the utility
works generating Excel.

One more piece of tip: before 1st July versions of Excel utility provided by
ITD filling of UTN field was mandatory. In case you did not fill UTN no then
XML will not be generated. So download an updated 1st July version of .xls
file. and use the same to generate the requisite XML without UTN no.

Regards
Dhiraj Gaur