On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 4:57 PM, Anupama <anup...@itforchange.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> How can one send and receive fax using the efax utility? I have ubuntu 8.04
> and have downloaded efax and efax-gtk. Do i need to download a soft modem?
> Any help in this regard is appreciated.
>
> Thanks
> Anupama

You would need a modem capable of sending faxes (fax modem). The term soft
modem does not refer to a software which you can download. It stands for
software modem, which uses the host system's resources for processing. Many
of the laptops come with an inbuilt modem (which is mostly a soft modem). In
case you don't have a modem already, make sure you either buy a hardware
modem or a software modem supported on Linux since soft modems have been
problematic on Linux. Once you are able to make your modem work on your
distribution, configure efax. You can refer to the man page and the
following links for help:

http://www.cce.com/efax/documentation/efax.txt
http://efax-gtk.sourceforge.net/README
http://www.linuxfocus.org/English/July2002/article249.shtml