On Tuesday 01 Sep 2009, Srinivasan Sundararajan wrote:
> would like to share some thoughts -- with you, and thru you with
> ILUG-D members -- in the light of the exchanges at ILUG-D on BOSS. I
> wouldn't put this as a clarification or official response, but more
> as an exchange of information / perspective. I hope this will lead to
> cohesion & contribution to/from BOSS efforts.

This is great, and I for one am glad to see the BOSS Linux team
interacting with the community on a peer basis.  Hope this can help move
both BOSS and FOSS (pun unintended) in India forward.

> 3. BOSS distro : Both binary & the source code (with allied stuff)
> are available from the repository  http://bosslinux.in/downloads
>
> 4. Indian language localisation : The .po files files, keyboard
> layouts, etc., are available at
> http://downloads.bosslinux.in/Localisation/

Not an expert in these matters, but AFAIR the issue was with font
licensing (open to correction).  Would it help if we open a Wiki page
where people can list out perceived issues with BOSS Linux (from the
community/FOSS point of view), which we could then collate and discuss?

> 5. There are a few packages like Bulk Document Converter,
> Presentation Tool, etc. -- integrated with BOSS distro, but could be
> candidates for stand alone packages.

What licences are these available under?  If they aren't already, please
consider making them FOSS so everyone (including BOSS users) can benefit
from community participation and the momentum that brings to any
software.  BOSS being a purely Indian distribution is likely to see a
lot of traction from the community here, most of whom would support and
advocate an Indian Linux distribution if some minor thorns were pulled
out.

Regards,

-- Raju
--