On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 2:47 PM, Shakthi Kannan <shakthim...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> --- On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 9:59 AM, Suraj Swami <suraj.g.sw...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> | I have just started an embedded project and I want to cross compile Linux
> | kernel and hence a distribution for a arm processor.
> |
> | In short a how to on developing tool chain for cross-compiling Linux
> \--
>
> If you only want to cross-compile the Linux kernel, and user-land
> applications, you can always use an existing cross-compiler/toolchain.
> Check CodeSourcery, for example:
>
>  http://www.codesourcery.com/
>
> Most development boards already provide their own toolchain which you
> can use. Building a cross-compiler for a target hardware is entirely
> different. Please read:
>
> Karim Yaghmour. 2003. Building Embedded Linux Systems. O'Reilly.
>
>  http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596002220
>
> Also refer Dan Kegels' crosstool:
>
>  http://kegel.com/crosstool/
>
> When replying in digest-mode, please remove the digest messages. You
> have left a whole trail of messages when posting  your question. It
> helps to follow some mailing list guidelines. For a start, please
> refer:

> SK
>
> --
> Shakthi Kannan
> http://www.shakthimaan.com

Try Openembedded/Bitbake. These are build systems for producing arm based
angstrom distributions. It would be helpful if you could let us know the
board you are working on. Openembedded supports many arm based boards, but
for a few obscure ones you might want to check out scratchbox also.

Compiling your own toolchain is not advised, even with kegel's crosstools
because of ABI mismatch nightmares and the general brokenness of
gcc-binutils. Codesourcery is a good choice, they have both eabi and gnueabi
versions of toolchains, however I have encountered many problems compiling
uboot with CS toolchains. OE produces its own set of toolchain which is much
more stable and afaik supports gnueabi. Again, depends on what board you are
compiling for.

Ankit Chaturvedi
GPG: 05DE FDC5 468B 7D9F 9F45 72F1 F7B9 9E16 ECA2 CC23
<http://www.google.com/profiles/ankit.chaturvedi>