On Sat, 6 Mar 2010 08:14:02 +0100
Swapnil Bhartiya <swapnil.bhart...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is there any way we can use Hindi in Text console? I met with
> Klaus and that was a problem he was facing with Hindi. I may be
> helping him with Hindi version of Knoppix/Adriane Knoppix.
[...]

What do you mean by a "text console"? A terminal inside X, or a
Linux console?

The former is possible, and while gnome-terminal, etc., handle base
characters, I do not think that any terminal handles conjuncts
properly. The easiest way to do this would be to use a non-Unicode,
8-bit font, with a custom keymap.

The latter would need changes to the console text-handling code,
probably along similar lines of using a 8-bit font with a custom
keymap. I am not sure, but think that text handling in the Linux
console is handled by the kernel itself, so having changes accepted
might not be easy.

As Gaurav notes, Abhishek has worked on this. The Debian folk have
also managed to get Hindi support in their installer. I am not sure
how this is done, but I think that they run Pango, or a similar
library on top.

Regards,
Gora