On Tuesday 06 Apr 2010, Tarun Dua wrote:
> Any recommendations for hardware RAID cards which can be monitored
>  for RAID health from CentOS and Debian.
> Also any experience in actual perfomance improvement with hardware
> RAID cards over software RAID.  I am intending to run RAID 10.

Make sure the hardware RAID isn't a fakeraid.  A fakeraid is a supposed
RAID card which is actually just a disk controller.  In a fakeraid the
software driver performs the RAID functions, making it equivalent to
(but probably less efficient than) a Linux Software RAID.

The figures at http://www.linux.com/news/hardware/servers/8222-
benchmarking-hardware-raid-vs-linux-kernel-software-raid
( http://tinyurl.com/ygju4uc ) seem to show that hardware RAID performs
better than Linux MD, which is what I would expect.

Regards,

-- Raj
--
Raj Mathur                r...@kandalaya.org      http://kandalaya.org/