On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 21:51:45 +0530
Raj Mathur <r...@linux-delhi.org> wrote:

> On Wednesday 14 Apr 2010, Mahesh T. Pai wrote:
> > Prakhar Agarwal said on Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 05:09:29PM +0200,:
> >  > Recently, I came across troff [1] and I was wondering if
> >  > someone has used it before and how different it is from
> >  > LaTeX.
> >
> > They are as similar (or different) as COBOL and C.
> >
> > BTW, LaTeX is a set of macros built around TeX.
> >
> > Have met people who have written their Ph.D. thesis in troff.
>
> Ewww... if you have the man pages source installed, have a look
> at one of the files in, e.g., /usr/share/man/man1/ .  Those use
> the man macros, but even with those it's difficult to find
> formatting as difficult to read as with [tn]roff.
[...]

Concur with all the above. There is not much reason in this day
and age to continue using troff/nroff. Another analogy would be
to hand-coding static HTML as opposed to the framework/CMS/drug
of your choice.

>                                               Even plain TeX
> is better (though not much).
            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ On the other hand, them is fighting
words.

> And to think I used to write documents using this stuff at one
> time!  We must have all been nuts.

*We*? Hello, speak for yourself.
Jaane kahan gaaye woh din, kahte thhe tere naam pe [tn]roff macros
  hum likhenge.

Regards,
Gora