---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Pratik Mandrekar <pratikmandre...@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2010 02:52:22 +0530
Subject: [lug-bitsgoa] Open Source project developers needed in campus
To: lug-bits...@googlegroups.com

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if students and faculty on campus would be interested in
taking up open source project development for a mobile health-care system?
Typically in a campus environment it could be handled by a faculty who would
lead students who would be working on modules depending on the local needs
of the project possibly for credit or otherwise. I started working on this
as part of Google Summer of Code and have also been able to get insights
into their pilot projects currently underway in India (bangalore, rural
Karnataka and NCR to start with). Below are excerpts from a team member.

"Are you a Django expert? Android guru? Or Java wizard? Are you interested
in mobile healthcare? Want to write software that can  actually save lives?

This is an invitation to start SANA at BITS Pilani Goa Campus. SANA is a
mobile health open-source developer community, started at MIT with chapters
in Harvard, Yale, and Boston University.

We build apps for the Google Android platform to enable physicians in
developing countries to provide expert medical care remotely. Our phone app
captures patient data -- in the form of text, pictures, video, and audio --
and uploads it via WiFi, GPRS, or SMS to an open-source medical records
system. Using Sana, doctors can remotely
diagnose patients. Sana solves the #1 problem facing healthcare in
developing nations: a lack of doctors in rural places.

Come join our team. Contribute to our online developer community at
http://code.google.com/p/moca/
.

Visit our website for more information: http://www.sanamobile.org/";

The Sana mobile app uses OpenMRS (which is an open source Electronic Medical
Record system) and my host organization too as the backend but could very
well be ported to any other EMR. Sana has a couple of developers in a Delhi
college and some have chosen to do it as part of their PhD thesis too. It
would be great if someone from BITS could help in local development.
Resources for training either through campus visit or video/audio conference
are available in case someone is interested. Its a good opportunity to
improve your skills in Mobile development, leaning health-care systems and
software engineering while making a big difference to health conditions
across the globe. Visit http://www.sanamobile.org to know more and check out
some things that are currently being implemented by me
here<http://asliceoflifewithspice.blogspot.com/search/label/openmrs>
.

Reply back to this thread or mail me back on pratikmandre...@gmail.com for
more information.

Thanks,

Pratik Mandrekar
pratikmandre...@gmail.com

P.S- Please try to forward this to f200x and faculty lists across all 4 BITS
campuses.

Sent from my mobile device