On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 1:30 PM, Vivek Varghese Cherian <
vivekcher...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On July 22 a $35 (or 1500 INR) hand-held Linux computing device was
> unveiled
> by Shri Kapil Sibal, the Union Minister for Human Resource Development of
> India. The goal of the project is to lower the price to around $20 in time
> and eventually reaching the amazing price of $10.

We have been hearing all kind of such devices right from those days of
Simputer.
Nothing has actually come up till date. (And not at that kind of pricing.)
Even if you take a bill of material and add its pricing, i twill not come
that low.

Lets hope and wait for the device to roll out in the market at that pricing.

-Sudhanwa

> In a tablet form-factor and using an unspecified variant of Linux (that
> some
> have said might be Android), the cost should remain low while offering a
> wide range of functionality. The Sakshat descendant is said to be capable
> of
> supporting video conferencing, viewing a wide selection of video and image
> files, word processing, de/compressing files, printing with CUPS, full
> Internet browsing with Javascript and Flash, wireless communications, and
> remote device management.
>
> The complete article is available on linux journal at the URL:
> http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/indias-35-tablet-everything-killer
>
> --
> Vivek Varghese Cherian
> Senior Systems Administrator
> RHCT ( # 605010995430406)
>
> Website : http://www.vivekcherian.com
> Blog: http://www.vivekcherian.net
> Linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/in/vivekvc
> IRC: Vivek and ViveKVC on both Freenode and OFTC
> GPG Key fingerprint = 1EB1 0647 9574 18A3 40B5  8D74 F842 576B 3C2B 8538

www.sudhanwa.com