On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 7:07 PM, Gaurav Mishra <gauravtec...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Guys,
>
> Lately, got this case while working on a internal project.
>
> Let's say we have a X software which provides a API so that third party
> apps
> can integrate with the existing core system and extend functionality , now
> we are not changing any code here but using the underlying data via API. In
> that case should i need to open source my modules/third party app ? (I
> believe SugarCRM works that way only, however wordpress recently forced
> users to make there plugins open source which is contradictory).

The straight answer is it depends on the license of the API. Generally
you'll find three popular licenses, so here's a simple explanation for these
cases.

LGPL: Only propagates if original source code is modified. Any derivative
work is considered independent, so in your case no need to release the code.
If you do modify/add the APIs then you only have to release the modified
source, not your application's source. That is, no version of the library
can be non-free, though programs using this library can be free.

GPLv1: Technically, GPL propagates upon linking to a GPL library. So if your
3rd party software is gplv1, you will need to release your source too. There
are many caveats to this, mainly concerning the definition of linking as GPL
was mostly written with C in mind. Its status on partially compiled
languages (such as java) or interpreted languages is unclear at best. Due to
this confusion, authors usually add another 'artistic' license to their
libraries which do make such a distinction and hence may contain additional
clauses to the license.

GPLv2: Terms state this:

GNU GPL V2: 2.
These requirements apply to the modified work as a whole. If
 identifiable sections of that work are not derived from the Program,
and can be reasonably considered independent and separate works in
themselves, then this License, and its terms, do not apply to those
sections when you distribute them as separate works. But when you
distribute the same sections as part of a whole which is a work based
 on the Program, the distribution of the whole must be on the terms of
this License, whose permissions for other licensees extend to the
entire whole, and thus to each and every part regardless of who wrote it.

So in this case again the boundaries aren't very clear but it does imply
that plugins/scripts etc will fall under gplv2. So in your case, if the api
is gplv2 and if your app cannot function without the said api (obviously) it
is deemed to be v2 and your source needs to be released. Again, many many
caveats though I'm not going to list them all.

So in short, read the file called LICENSE and diff with the GPL text to find
out additions. Or ask the library author. Its important to note that APIs
themselves cannot be licensed under any circumstances.

Wordpress is GPLv2, so plugins written using wordpress api are automatically
derived works and deemed GPL. Its only fair that plugin writers not make
their money off wordpress author's work when they themselves aren't, right.

Hope this helps.

Would love some explanation :)

> Warm Regards,
> Gaurav Mishra
>
> Head- Strategic Planning and Operations
> - Media Redefined -
> " A social media branding & consulting studio. "
>
> # Web: http://www.mediaredefined.com
> # Blog: http://www.gmishra.com
> # Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/gmishra
> # LinkedIn:http://www.linkedin.com/in/gauravmishra7

Ankit Chaturvedi
GPG: 05DE FDC5 468B 7D9F 9F45 72F1 F7B9 9E16 ECA2 CC23
<http://www.google.com/profiles/ankit.chaturvedi>