On Wed, Dec 29, 2010 at 8:58 PM, Sagar Belure <sagar.bel...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Maybe I'm asking another noob question.
> But, wanted to know, how the big companies gain profit who run Free
> and Open Source project like Mozilla, Apache, etc.
> Of course, even if you are working for Free and Open source projects,
> there has to be some income.
>
> I'm hoping for the varieties of views on this.
>
> PS: Apologize for the cross post. Do not include the other mailing
> list id if you are not subscribed to it.

1) There are many guys who do for non-profit , may be for passion or may be
for academic requirement
2) NonProfit Organisation - gets funds/donation and raise money and apply
that in software development Ex Mozilla, Wikipedia, FSF
3) For Profit Companies Who are not setting Linux Distro (like Google) but
depends on Linux (because he cannot buy 1,00000+ windows to run their
server, even if M$ offer for free, google won't take crap and s*it) So its
Google sole interest for improving FOSS/Linux
4) Companies who sale Linux Service like RedHat and Canonical want to create
better distro
5) Startup guys who work on Open LAMP stack and new API Libraries like ruby,
python etc contribute to FOSS project inorder to get expertise and make
portfolio.

There is no direct selling of software involved. but many freelancer who
work for FOSS communities work on project basic and sell their custom code
to many known/unknown companies. They contribute back.