Hi,

On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 4:40 PM, Raj Mathur <r...@linux-delhi.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Tirveni and I just completed a large (~2500 desktops + ~40 servers)
> installation of Debian -- Squeeze and Wheezy -- in 6 locations in
> India.  Was wondering, is anyone aware of larger or comparable Debian
> installations in the country?  Or should we be spraining our wrists
> trying to pat ourselves on our backs?

Congrats !!!

No idea whether there is any other bigger Linux setup (not just
Debian, but any Linux distro). But this IS a huge setup.

Few questions popped up. Hope you will answer them for everybody's
benefits. (Organisation name is not required)

A. On what parameters selection of a particular distro is done.
Pricing, support, stability etc. etc.
B. Is the decision taken by some central IT department and imposed on
all others or is it coming from user requirements across the country?
C.  How the organisation is going to get support? Inhouse? services
from vendors or consultants? Outsourced activity completely?
D. What is the typical configuration of desktops, servers.
E. What was the timeframe to complete the project?
F. What are the most troublesome situations you face during the whole
exercise. Technical, manpower handling, financial etc.

Any other points you wish to share with us.

I am sure answers to these will be helpful to all the FOSS
implementors as a reference point and even more to the people who are
converting from non-FOSS to FOSS environment.

Thanks and regards,
-Sudhanwa