On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 8:47 PM, Mahesh T. Pai <paiva...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Gora Mohanty said on Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 07:35:20PM +0530,:
>
>  > So, if I remember correctly, one opens the file, unlinks
>  > it (effectively making it invisible to a 'ls'), and can then merrily
>  > read/write from/to the open file descriptor as long as the process
>  > is running. Of course, the data that you have written will be
>  > lost when you close the file descriptor, unless you copy it
>  > elsewhere.
>
> So, this means that even as I am viewing nth second of the flv, the
> file descriptor still contains 1st second?
[...]

Yes. As you have probably noticed, a replay is much faster, and less
jerky than watching while downloading, at least on typical Indian
*broadband* connections.

For the Youtube case, one should wait till the video has finished
buffering (the faint red line is all the way to the right), before trying
to copy the file. There is also the catch that it is not clear to me
when exactly the open file descriptor is closed by the Flash player.

(I presume that y'all will only do this for content that y'all
are authorised to save.)

Regards,
Gora