Gaurang Aggarwal writes:
> Hello guys ,

> I am using CentOS 5.6 on my VPS , and I am having multiple problems .
> 1.
>  /etc/init.d/httpd reload
> Reloading httpd:                                           [FAILED]
> [root@ip-1-- /]# /etc/init.d/httpd start
> Starting httpd:                                            [FAILED]
> [root@ip-1--  /]# /etc/init.d/httpd stop
> Stopping httpd:                                            [FAILED]

> I couldn't start or restart the httpd .

> c/init.d/httpd restart
> Stopping httpd:                                            [FAILED]
> Starting httpd: (13)Permission denied: make_sock: could not bind to address
> [::]:80
> (13)Permission denied: make_sock: could not bind to address 0.0.0.0:80
> Unable to open logs
>                                                            [FAILED]

Looks like some process (maybe httpd) is already listening on port 80. You can
see that using:

# netstat -pant |fgrep :80

> 2. Also service command is not installed

> root@ip /]# service httpd start
> bash: service: command not found

Try using "/sbin/service". Are you sure /sbin is in PATH and you're not
running something like "sudo su" or "sudo bash" to get root shell. It's
provided by "initscripts" package (which is usually installed as part of base
system, IIRC) whose existence you can confirm using:

% rpm -q initscripts

If it's not installed then you're probably missing the Base group as well,
which you can install using:

# yum install -y Base

HTH
- --
Ashish SHUKLA

“In reality there are as many religions as there are individuals.”
("Mahatma Gandhi", "Hind Swaraj", 1908)