Prashant Batra writes:
> On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 1:17 PM, Ashish SHUKLA <ashish...@lostca.se> wrote:
>>
>> Prashant Batra writes:
>>> Hello,
>>
>>> I am trying to build linux kernel 3.0-rc4 for a x86 server.
>>> I am using the default config for x86, and the compilation goes fine.
>>
>>> But when I try to boot this kernel, it simply hangs at "Booting
>>> kernel" prompt after uncompressing the image.
>>> I suspected that some drivers may not have been included, so did "make
>>> allyesconfig", to include everything in the kernel itself.
>>> But same thing happened.
>>
>> What's your kernel command-line ?
> root        (hd0,0)
> kernel      /boot/boot/vmlinuz-3.0-rc4-all_yes root=/dev/sda1 ro
> Same cmdline is working for other kernels.

>> And is your kernel gets stuck in graphics
>> mode, or text mode ? And what happens with your keyboard LEDs (assuming
>> you've
>> one of those keyboards which come with Caps/Num/Scroll Lock LEDs) when this
>> happens ? Which distribution are you using ?
>>
> I am using text mode, no response from keyboard when it hangs.
> The distribution is Debian 4.1

AFAIK, there is no Debian 4.1, you're probably running Debian Etch 4.0.1 or
similar.

>> My guess is something with kernel-mode-setting is fscked.
>>
> I am not sure whether I understood completely, but
> kernel mode will be normal only, until I specifically give um.

No, kernel-mode-setting here refers to enabling graphics mode from
kernel[1]. The problem here _seems_ to be that kernel you're trying to run
supports kernel-mode-setting, and has probably that enabled by default, but
userland (Debian Etch) isn't expecting kernel-mode-setting, as
kernel-mode-setting functionality only got introduced after Debian Lenny,
i.e. 2.6.28 and later. So, try booting with "nomodeset" kernel command-line
option, not sure if that will work.