On Monday 27 Feb 2012, Amit Sharma wrote:
> #!/bin/bash
> # Script to check exim mailq at a specified interval
> echo `date` >> /adminscripts/logs/eximcount
> echo `exim -bpc` >> /adminscripts/logs/eximcount

First of all, why the needless complexity?  You can just:

date >> /adminscripts/logs/eximcount
exim -bpc >> /adminscripts/logs/eximcount

Also, should the first >> be a single > ?

> if [ `exim -bpc` -gt 0 ]
> then
> cat /adminscripts/logs/eximcount |mail -s "Count of EXIM Mailq
> on Server"  a.sha...@example.com else
> exit 1
> fi
>
> The above runs fine manually, however when I try to run it through
> crontab (as root), it DOES run but /adminscripts/logs/eximcount gets
> empty value. When I run it manually it is able to get the correct
> count like 5, 10 etc.
> What am I missing here? Please help.

Check the permissions on the script.

Remove the file before the cron runs and see if it gets created.

Check where root's mail goes -- that will help you track any cron
errors.

Put full paths to all programs you execute in the script.

Let us see the whole cron command line.

Regards,

-- Raj
--