Managing Big data on MySql is challenging. Many companies do that their own
way, like some partition their users based alphabetically on different
database servers with replications and load balancing for each, resulting
in 100 DB servers.
Google uses their own home baked nosql DB, BigTable. Facebook uses multi
Mysql.

Ravi Kumar