What do you mean by the OS,
1) The Kernel
2) The Kernel + Associated Utilities
3) The Distribution

In my opinion, the utilities are disjoint to the Kernel. It is pretty
simple to explain to a layman that the distribution is the Linux OS,
but in such a forum as ILUGD, it would be more appropriate if we talked
about the OS as just being the kernel.

And anyways, there's much squabbling going on between RMS and his supporters

and the opposition, don't just start another war.

And while advising other people not to quibble over nomenclature, you
yourself spent time writing the mail, instead of doing something useful.

Aw shucks, I am doing the same ;-)

Venky