Question for those on list.

If you're purchasing anything Apple, does
the availability of future "available" servicing
enter in to the decision process?

And by service am suggesting local
say within 100 miles of your residence.

Or do you, with problems
with your hardware (assuming
it is under warranty or similar)
ring Apple and have them send you
a shipping box and go from there?

And you may be asking why?

Have a friend in the USA in one of the northern
states (close to the south shore of Lake Ontario)
who has three older Macs.

Now he is in the process of sending one of his
older Macs, back to Apple for repair. Why? Well as he has found
to his chagrin that any so-called local dealers, and
we are talking in a larger the 250 miles radius are absolute
idiots when it comes to repairs.  They aren't interested
in even looking at his five year old Macs!

He is on a pension, he has no interest in getting the latest
and greatest as some on this list seem to insist upon.

His machines work, for him and that's it. However I asked
him about service, his machines are going back to Apple.

Now granted he is stateside. I am in Canada, and my local dealer
is OK, however when my iBook expires, under warranty it could
well be repaired.

If it isn't repairable, economically, well "I" shall have to do some thinking.

Cheers...

There are two separate issues here. If it's under warranty, of course it goes to an Apple authorised repair agent. If it's not under warranty and the agent isn't interested in it, I'd look around until I found someone who was interested. Luckily we have such a person here in my small town. Send it back to Apple? Never, because Apple Canada is in Toronto and shipping costs from B.C. would be quite high.

--
Terry McCune