On Jan 2, 2006, at 2:04 AM, Kevin Clark wrote:

My "new" G4/800 won't emit any sound from either the system or any apps when booting into OS9. The OS9 Sound control panel doesn't show any "output" even though Sound Manager's extension is loaded. Volume on full but everything is silent. All sound works fine in OSX and in Classic but I have a legacy app that's OS9 only and that's why I still need to boot into OS9 directly. Any
clues why I have no sound when booting into OS9 please? Thanks.

Kev

I've seen this several times and always managed to fix it.

There are too many possible variables and without knowing what has been done to your System it is difficult to diagnose. IIRC, Sound Manager is a very old extension installed by some very old apps and a holdover from OS 8. I don't think an OS 9 installation disk even has it. It's absence or presence won't necessarily cause System- wide sound problems, although, as mentioned, some old softwares install and use it and may not work without it.

As another poster recommended, a re- install of the System will probably fix it, but I would try zapping the PRAM, first.