On Jan 4, 2006, at 1:07 PM, MaxTek wrote:

I have a 333mhz iMac that is fuzzy on some of the corners. I have the
display utility app and the manual. Has anyone focused one of these iMacs
and were successful?

Or can you not fix the corners with out making the center fuzzy?

I've focused more than a few Rev. A-D and slot-loading iMacs. The Rev. A-D are fairly easy to focus, because you can get to the focus adjustment on the flyback transformer (NOTE: using a non-metallic nylon or plastic tool) without removing the case. Shine a bright light down through the perforated slots on the top left (as you face the screen) of the case and you'll soon see the black flyback transformer. You should be able to read the word "Focus" written on the flyback next to the adjustment.

When I do a case-off tune-up of an iMac (usually following a PAV assembly replacement, and always with slotloaders) I use the Apple Display Adjustment Utility, which puts helpful test screens up for display as you do adjustments, as well as the service manual procedures. But for a simple focus adjustment, I just put a text file on the screen and adjust until the letters are as crisp as possible. I use a hand-held small magnifying glass to make sure I can tell when I've reached the best focus, and I only focus the center of the screen.

Cathode ray tubes, by the very nature of their construction, almost always have fuzziness the further away from the center of the screen you get. Note that Apple's factory setting does not push the image area all the way out to the mask. This is a sneaky way of getting around the inevitable fuzziness in the corners and minimizing the noticeable fuzzy areas. Using the iMac's geometry adjustments, you can take the image area all the way to the mask. You'll see the screen pop up in tiny holes in the mask in the center of each side which will tell you when to stop increasing the size. Note that as you get all the way out that the corners of the image get fuzzier and fuzzier.

I've seen some high-hours iMacs whose CRTs have gotten so tired that they no longer can be adjusted to a sharp focus even in the dead center of the screen. But most iMacs can be improved noticeably by carefully fine-tuning the Focus. This assumes you're using OS 8.6-9.2.2. If you run OS X on a G3 iMac, especially 10.3 and 10.4, expect to be disappointed with a less than crisp display no matter how much you adjust it. This is because the G3 iMacs simply do not have enough video grunt to do OS X and Aqua justice. This is true even with the 16 MB VRAM in the 500-700 MHz G3s.

Hope this helps.

Jim Scott