At 9:42 AM +0000 01/15/2006, Kevin Clark wrote:
Whenever Spotlight indexes my external firewire drive, my computer (iMac G4,
OSX 10.4.4) kernel panics and I have to restart. Consequently, I have added
this f/w drive to Spotlight's privacy tab so that it no longer indexes it
and I can run my Mac all day with no probs (I use EasyFind if I want to find
anything).

However, at exactly midnight this external drive - despite still being in
Spotlight's "Privacy" section - starts to index again and I get that
"restart" freeze. Aside from unmounting the external drive at 11.59pm or
shutting down and going to bed early (!), is there any way to stop this
happening?

Spotlight ptoi!  *grumble*

Give this a good read. It includes instructions on how to beat Spotlight into a corner or even kill it off.

http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/stopspotlightindex.html

- Dan.