It appears to me newbies tend to toppost while oldtimers almost always
bottom post. So my thinking is that if any of y'all want the wisdom of
the oldtimers y'all might want to scroll down and read their replies. And
it's usually no chore to scroll to bottomposted material as bottomposters
almost invariably trim off the unneeded crap, unlike the majority of
topposters who seem to feel compelled to resend every single character
from the mail to which they are replying.

I think this issue boils down to consideration for those to whom you're
replying.

I receive these lists in digest mode, so you total-quoting-topposters are
wasting my time by forcing me to scroll through all your useless quoted
material. Plus I first get to read your reply, then I have to scroll down
and try to figure out what the heck you were referring to in your post.
Yeesh!

I realize I'm mixing the issues of topposting and unnecessary quoting,
but to me the two seem in practice to be inextricably linked. Both are
done with little or no thought for the utility of the reply for the
receiver(s). It's convenient perhaps for the totalquotingtopposter, but
tough on those of us who are into exchanging information rather than
simply spouting our thoughts and opinions.

-- sigh --

BTW, the initial posts responding to this thread were overwhelmingly in
favor of topposting, Know why? It's because us oldtimers have seen this
issue appear so many times over the years we're too jaded to jump right
in. Once folks become wise to the value of courtesy and useful
discussion, ex-newbies almost always come around to our way of thinking
(that is, bottomposting and trimming.)

dan k

http://macdan.n3.net/
carracho://dankephoto.dhs.org:9700