Your best bet is to leave the iMac the way it is and use external drives. You can get used USB or Firewire drives on the swap channel fairly reasonable. You didn't say which iMac it was which would make a difference whether USB or Firewire.

Ed

-----Original Message-----
From: Richard Colbert Jr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: iMac List <imac-list@mail.maclaunch.com>
Sent: Sun, 22 Jan 2006 18:43:07 -0600
Subject: Modding an iMac 400Mhz. G3!!!

  Hello! First let me say a few things:

1.) This is my first post here!
2.) I am a new Mac user. I just bought a used iMac G3 Tangerine used from a
pawn shop a couple days ago.
3.) I have upgraded the 64mb installed ram to 320mb and am running OS9.2.2.
However, I have no CD's that came with the disk and the OS is corrupted.
Nothing works right, ARGH!

With that said, there are a couple things I am trying to do and I would like
some help/advice on them.

1.) First thing is I am trying desperately to get my hands on OSX. But I
totaled my car on the 9th of Jan. so funds are EXTREMELY TIGHT and I have no
wheels. So I am playing with things I can do for free for now, like:
2.) I would like to strip out the computer parts of my iMac (leaving the
case/monitor intact) and build a small case for the iMac's computer parts. In this case I want to have a removable hard drive caddy so I can swap hard
drives (1 with OSX on it - eventually and 1 with Ubuntu Linux on it).
3.) I would also like to replace the DVD ROM drive that is in it now, with
an IDE DL DVD+-RW drive that I have but not sure how to do this as the
motherboard has one connecter for both the slot load dvd-rom and the hard drive. The slot load DVD rom has NO POWER CONNECTION so I assume that it is powered by the wider than normal cable connecting to it, which then goes to
a regular sized ide cable for the powered hard drive. Can I just use a
regular dual plug ide cable connected to the motherboard to run the new dvd
drive and the hard drive?
4.) I would like to use the iMac case/monitor. By that I want to know how to make/connect a cable to it (without the computer guts in it) and hook it to
the new case I build (with the computer guts in it). That way, unless
someone looks at the cable coming out of the case, they won't know it is
modded.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Richard Colbert
"Recent Ubuntu Convert"