On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 10:58 AM, Charles Davis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Sep 23, 2008, at 9:48 AM, ./aal wrote:
>

>> On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 1:29 AM, KP <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>>
>>> All the talk about Windows' on Mac, has brought me to this question.
>>> Can a person run Linux on an Intel Mac?
>>>>

>> You can run Linux on anything.
>>

> Which will still leave you running software that was DESIGNED to
> operate most efficiently on the 80386 and 'children of' chip from INTEL.
>
> Linux was intended as a 'UNIX' 'Look Alike' --- how well that was
> accomplished, is open to discussion (but not by me).
>
> BSD, is also a 'UNIX' 'Look Alike' [to the extent that it has passed
> most of, if not all of the validations to be called UNIX]
>
> BSD is the foundation of Apple OSX
>
> Now, to run Linux, just to say it can be done, I understand. But
> Linux vs. OSX -- I don't even see a glimmer of an advantage.
>
> JMHO
>
> Chuck Davis

this was not about what is better
it's about what is possible

NO OS is best
each has it's own advantages and solves different problems

"look alike" is a very bad term
POSIX compliant is the specification and it refers to function, not appearance

Just because Linux was developed originally using x86 hardware does
not mean it is limited by that

the mouse was developed to control a Xerox machine. I dont think that limits it

the wheel was developed using archaic tools and materials. That wont
keep me from having them on my car

and to clarify "Linux" refers only to the kernel, the rest of the OS
is GNU. BSD uses a different kernel, but the rest is still GNU, Just
like OSX

Again, I am not proselytizing. I am simply trying to balance the info.
Please do more research b4 forming your humble opinion

Use the tool that is right for the job, not the tool that has the
right ad campaign.
Nothing is an ideal swiss army knife

IMHO

--
I like to believe that people in the long run are going to do more to
promote peace than our governments. Indeed, I think that people want

 "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed
us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their
use." --Galileo Galilei