On Oct 20, 2008, at 7:51 PM, Cy wrote:

> That's interesting as I've been trying to access the default ip
> address to configure my router for two days. I have accidentally
> stumbled over the secrets of the ancients for achieving peace,
> serenity and patience.  It helps to recite the mantra *the server is
> not responding*  every twenty minutes or so.

Plug in via the ethernet and set to get it's IP address from a dhcp
server.

reset the router per the instruction manual. It SHOULD then start
passing out addresses willy-nilly with no restrictions (which is why
you can reliably drive through suburbia and find dozens of open access
points called 'LINKSYS' :-)

The address your system should have needs to be in the same range as
the default router address of the router, which is most typically
192.168.1.1.

If your computer doesn't have an address like that, even with DHCP,
manually set it to 192.168.1.2 and see if you can access the router.

If not the router may be DOA, or your computers' networking is foo.

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona