On Wed, Dec 31, 2008 at 11:30 AM, Paul Perkal <pper...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I was asking about an E - Mac, not an i - Mac. I know, it's easy to miss the
> one-letter difference, and having the two machines lumped together in one
> forum, away from the other Mac forums, and the much higher popularity of the
> iMac...
>
> And I think the keyboard I have with the power button came from an iMac.
>
> Your answer raised another question for me. Shouldn't that power button be
> able to turn ON various iMacs, and at that point (before it's even on),
> shouldn't it work no matter what system is running?
>
> Paul
>

> On Wed, Dec 31, 2008 at 8:42 AM, Ryan Waldon <ryanwaldon2...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>

>> On Wed, Dec 31, 2008 at 5:26 AM, Paul <pper...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Suddenly I find myself with two eMacs discarded by other people glad
>>> to get rid of them. One of them has a wrecked power button, and that's
>>> where my questions originate. Do all the different eMac models use the
>>> same power button? On this one, it looks like the button plugs into a
>>> 3-hole connector.
>>>
>>> I tried using a Mac USB keyboard that has a power button, but it
>>> didn't seem to have any effect. Were there only certain Macs that
>>> would power up with the keyboard button?
>>>

>> Some of the early G3 iMacs could be powered-up with the keyboard button. I
>> have a Lime 333MHz iMac that worked with the keyboard button, running under
>> OS 8.6, but not with 9.2.2 or OSX...
>>
>> --ryan

there was a thread here recently that touched on this
it has to do with the usb implementation on older (x)macs
the kbd powerbtn used a non-standard usb method to pwr on the mac
this was discontinued in later mac hdwr in favor of supporting a standard usb
so if you have a usb2.0 (or later model 1.1) (x)mac it probly does not work

--
I'm a PC
AND I RUN LINUX!!!

Lenin  - "A lie told often enough becomes the truth."