On Jan 10, 2009, at 7:21 PM, John Hokanson wrote:

> Here's the deal. I have a G3 iMac, 350Mhz, with 384megs of RAM. My OS
> is 9.2.2. I have a 7GB hard drive with about 5GB free
>
> It serves my limited purposes just peachy except as far as webbrowsing
> goes. I'll need a modern implementation of Java and probably Flash for
> viewing mission critical sites as part of some
> non-profit work I do.
>
> Does anybody know of a fairly small implementation of Linux for PPC
> that will run adequately on this system and launch a modern webbrowser
> like Firefox? It will need to co-exist with my current OS.
>
> - John

I have a version of Yellow Dog Linux on my 400 Mhz iMac with 256 Mb
of RAM.  It runs pretty good.  Seems like the version was 3.x but
it's been awhile since I booted it up I have forgotten.  Perhaps a
visit to YDL's website might reveal the version number.  I know the
newest version is way too bloated for an older machine.  HTH

Just a message from Doug...

1st Hack: GA-945GCMX-S2 - E4500 CPU (2.2 Ghz) - 2 Gb RAM - 7200 GS
(256 Mb)
2nd Hack: GA-P35-DS3L (V2) - E8400 CPU (3.0 Ghz -45nm) - 4 Gb RAM -
7200 GS (256 Mb)
3rd Hack: MSI Wind Desktop PC - 945GC - Intel Atom 1.6 Ghz CPU - 2 Gb
RAM
4th Hack: Too be announced...