Hi.  I'm new to this group and would appreciate your help.

Specifically, I have an old 400 MHz iMac G3 with an external 1 GB hard drive
running OS 10.4.11, on which I would like to store music and pictures for a
small home network of 4 Macs.

In order to access the music and pictures, I'd like to be able to wake this G3
remotely from other computers on the network using wakeonlan or a similar
application.

However, I noticed that the options tab of the energy saver preferences
contains no option for "Wake for Ethernet network administrator access", which
does appear on other Macs I've seen running OS 10.4.11.

Does anyone have any suggestions for getting this option to appear on the
energy saver options panel of the iMac G3 or for remotely waking the G3?

Also, speed wise, does it make more sense to create a startup partition on the
external firewire 400 drive rather than use the iMac's original 10GB internal
hard drive?

Thanks in advance!