Thanks for straightening me out on the maximum number of devices on a  single
fire wire port. I knew it was more than what you could do with USB, but
couldn't remember the exact number. Fire wire actually has intelligence built
in
to it, at least I think so, especially if it's able to communicate to other
devices without the use of a computer. It is also more efficient than USB as
well when it comes to the actual transfer speeds. And with Fire wire 800, it's
even faster than USB 2.0.

In a message dated 2/3/2009 11:20:56 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
john...@pharmacy.arizona.edu writes:

On Feb 2, 2009, at 5:54 PM, bhealthyag...@aol.com  wrote:

> I believe you are allowed to daisy chain up to 7 before you  are
> required
> to have a hub, but not sure about  that part.

Devices may be daisy-chained up to 63 devices. There's a  4.5 meter
total cable length limit, and standard 6-pin FW supplies  45 watts of
power. This per the standard, via Wikipedia.

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona

Institutions do not have  opinions, merely  customs

net/clk;211531132;33070124;e)