michaelangelo wrote:
> I recently started using my new g-3 FlowerPower with OS 10.4, to which
> I loaded Thunderbird. (Previously I was using OS 9.2 with Entourage.)
>
> I don't really know the different between pop-mail and imap (or other
> types of email protocols, if they exist) but I think that is where I
> am having this problem...

Simple description:
With POP you download the mail to your computer and work on it there.
IMAP keeps the mail on a server and you just download it to read it.

> I have a gmail account and a school account assigned to Thunderbird.
> The school account works fine except that the return address it gives
> people is from the gmail account. I can't seem to find a way to change
> it. I am pretty sure the school account is imap (whatever that is
> exactly). I have looked and looked in the Accounts Setup area but the
> only options for outgoing (smtp?) are the gmail account and "Default".
> I've tried both and both give my gmail addie as the return email
> address. I cannot see to find a way to change the default (if that is
> the problem).

Sending mail is independent of POP or IMAP.  SMTP is what your mail
client uses to send mail.  You need to create a new Outgoing Mail
setting for your school account.  You can setup each account to use the
corresponding SMTP settings.

--
Clark Martin
Redwood City, CA, USA