Thanks folks...

It is driving me nuts. I will probably go the Linux route. The real
stumbling block that I'm coming across is the dearth of modern media
software for OS9. Upgrading to OSX looks like a waste of money. I
could do with an OSX machine simply to have another target for dev
stuff, but it makes more sense to buy an Intel based Mac than splash
out on Tiger.

All I have to do now is understand how to get my WS2008 server to
transcode DVR-MS files on the fly.