On May 28, 4:31 pm, Thunder 1 <thunder...@mindspring.com> wrote:
> Greetings All.
>
> I want to invest in an external hard drive, and I need some advice
> from the great gurus here. Here's what I have, as far as my
> hardware goes:
>
> iMac 2.4GHz Intel Core Duo, 298GB HD, running OS 10.5.7.
> Has both FireWire 400 and 800 plus USB.
>
> iMac 350MHz Blueberry, 6GB HD, running OS 9.2.2.
> USB 1 only.
>
> iMac 333MHz Blueberry, 6GB HD, running OS 9.1
> USB 1 only.
>
> Titanium Powerbook, 10GB, running OS 10.4.11
> FireWire 400 and USB.
>
> Here is what I would like to do:
>
> I would like to be able to back up all these computers to a
> single external hard drive. I'm looking at an external drive
> that gives me around 500GB or so of storage space. I haven't
> decided on a brand yet, but I'm leaning towards Seagate, but
> will consider others.

Someone suggested a unique external drive for each machine.  There is
merit to that.  Or perhaps you could go for one drive with two
partitions for the two Blueberry iMacs and one drive for the two OS X
machines, one partition for each.  Another strategy might be to simply
copy all or parts of the drive contents for the three old machines via
ethernet to the Intel iMac, putting each of the three to its discrete
folder.  Then backup the Intel iMac to an external drive.

For size, consider a larger one where you can include two partitions
to serve as Time Machine units for the Users folders on your Intel
iMac and Powerbook.  You could shoot for a 1TB.

For a discussion about brand, see this thread:
TOPIC: OT: External Hard Drives, LaCie & OWC
http://groups.google.com/group/g3-5-list/t/a73bc6b633a840f7?hl=en

I ended up with the OWC Mercury Elite Al Pro Quad.  I normally favor
Seagate internal drives, but in considering their features and a few
specs and reported characteristics that I did not like, I eventually
took the external Seagates out of the mix.

Someone mentioned a Drobo.  See this thread:
TOPIC: Need new external HDD's - should i buy RAID units???
http://groups.google.com/group/g3-5-list/t/569c5df0a2a03f64?hl=en

> Also, I would like to make all these back-ups bootable for
> each machine.

Making the partitions bootable requires extra attention to setting
up.  I do not know how to make bootable external drives or partitions
for the Blueberry iMacs.  It may not be possible, given a historical
condition where USB drives cannot boot older OSs.  I suggest you probe
this question under a separate subject heading such as "Bootable
External Drive for Blueberry iMac."   Also, the folks at OWC can
advise on this.
http://www.macsales.com/

As for bootable external drives or partitions for the OS X machines,
see this thread:
TOPIC: Setting up External Firewire Drive for CCC
http://groups.google.com/group/g3-5-list/t/7ae2efa826714507?hl=en

In addition to Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC) shareware, there is the pay-to-
buy SuperDuper for cloning  to bootable drives.
http://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper/SuperDuperDescription.html

> Right now I'm looking for advice on 1) feasibility of doing all
> these back-ups on one external drive; 2) recommendations
> on brands/sizes/speeds/features for an external drive that
> I can buy for what I want to do; and 3) and any advice on
> what problems (if any) to look for or not, what drives to stay
> away from, and if anyone else has tried/done what I want to do.

In setting up one drive with two partitions for the OS X machines,
note that for both to be bootable with CCC, the drive must be
initialized APM, not GUID.  APM will work for the Intel Mac in spite
of the erroneous Apple statement in Disk Utility to the contrary.
There actually is Apple documentation in their support pages that
indicate APM is fine.

Do not get hung up drive speeds and throughput rates for your
purposes.  Anything in the size you want will do well for you.  But if
you narrow down two competing models and want to discuss specific
specifications, there are people in this list who can work with you.

Have fun,
Al Poulin