I am suddenly and unexpectedly needing some sort of network solution
and know very little about this subject. The situation is this... for
some time i have had a direct ethernet connection between my cable
modem and G4 imac. Recently my roommate got a pc laptop and wanted to
go wireless. We purchased a Belkin N router. He uses his "g" card
wirelessly and is very pleased. I am currently connected via ethernet
as before, except now with router in the middle. I am noticing a
considerable drop in performance going via the router as opposed to
directly to the cable modem; enough so that when he is not home i
connect the modem directly, only using the router when necessary.
This slower performance (taking longer to load web pages, and slower
download speeds) occurs whether or not he is connected. My first
question is whether this slowdown is to be expected when wired
through the router as opposed to directly to the modem? If not, any
suggestions on what i can do to increase performance?

Would i have better speed going wireless myself? And if so, should i
go for the Airport Extreme card, or would a third-party dongle be
faster? If the latter, is there one which uses the ethernet port
rather than taking up a usb slot?

Many thinks for any suggestions!

bill