Hi List,

I've got an eMac G4 (1.25GHz, 1.0GB of RAM, 80 GB HDD) that has an odd
problem. It only connects to the Internet with completely-manual
settings. When attempting to automatically connect, it says it has a
"self-assigned IP address, and may not be able to connect." Giving it
a manual IP address doesn't help—only manually configuring all the
fields allows the computer to connect.

There are other computers in the house with automatic settings that
are all connected fine, with Airport and Ethernet. With automatic
settings, the eMac refuses to connect via either of those methods.

We have a Surfboard modem and a Linksys WRT45G modem that we use to
connect to Earthlink High Speed Online (which is provided by Time
Warner Cable, so it's essentially the same thing as RoadRunner), if
that helps.

Any ideas why the computer refuses to connect with automatic settings?
I'm stumped, but at least I've figured out how to actually get it
online.

Thanks in advance,

Isaac