Hmm, can you plug in an external display and see if anything comes up
on that?
Can you hear the HD churning away?
Have you tried booting from an external drive, or another mac in
target disk mode?
Or boot the iMac in target disk mode and see if it's drive is viewable
from another computer?
Just trying to see if it's just the display that's gone, but
everything else is working ok