Thanks, Elliott.

> Macs will read PC formatted HD's.

I haven't tried that since installing Leopard. It seems to me that when
I tried to connect it to Firewire under Panther, it said, [something
like] "Not ready. Want to initialize this drive?" I didn't try to
connect it to the Mac USB cuz it's USB 1.1.

> permissions

I have ignored permissions all of my computing life and have never had
any issue WRT them. <shrug>

> I'm not quite sure exactly what
> a .pub file is

I think it's probably a Corel Ventura Publisher file. (I have a PC
*ONLY* so I can run CVP. No other reason.)

Perhaps I should state that these are the files from my Win98SE machine,
which is not operating currently. They're on a 300GB HD that Win98 can't
really use (long story), but I _do_ want its files. I can put them on
the Mac (which has gobs of space) and then reformat the 300GB to replace
the 80GB in my XP PC. At which point, I'll probably put the Win98SE
files on the 80GB and put it back in the Win98 PC.

Big job, but simple as can be. :)
--
Malcolm
800MHz 17" flat panel iMac running Leopard (1GB RAM, 500GB HD)