On Oct 4, 2009, at 1:39 PM, Christian Wacker wrote:

> My school is throwing out a bunch of old G3 iMacs with bad PSU\CRT
> issues (logic boards are still good)
> I have a 350mhz G3 Blueberry
> Most of the systems are iMac DV systems
> Could I put one of the DV boards in my system?
> -Christian

This has been covered many, many times on this list. The short answer
is that you can put any G3 350-450 MHz logic board into any other
original G3 350-450 iMac. All these have Motorola cpus.
You also may be able to swap a 500 MHz G3 iMac logic board into your
350, IF it has a Motorola cpu. But there also were 500 MHz IBM cpu G3
iMac logic boards.

WARNING: G3 500 Mhz iMac logic boards with IBM cpus will fit, but the
cpu will not match up with the Motorola cpu's heat sink, which will
cause the cpu to self-destruct very quickly. The same holds true for
600 & 700 MHz IBM G3 iMac logic boards.

So, you can swap any Motorola logic board with any other original
Motorola G3 iMac, and you can swap any IBM logic board with any other
IBM G3 iMac, but you can't swap an IBM into a Motorola or vice versa.

CAUTION: However, what you can do is swap logic boards and the
matching perforated divider boards with appropriately positioned heat
sinks into any G3 350-700 iMac. Of course, you have to completely
disassemble the iMac to do this. And in the process, you have to
disconnect the high-power lead from the flyback transformer to the
CRT. This means you have to discharge the CRT using proper tools and
safety technique. If an iMac hasn't been plugged in for a long time,
there's not much chance of getting zapped. However, if the iMac's been
plugged in recently for testing, there well may be some seriously
aggressive electrons waiting for you to complete a circuit to ground
with your body.

-- Jim Scott