You might be better off trying to install Debian instead of Ubuntu- the
Debian distro is still active. We had lots of trouble getting Xubuntu
working on 1Ghz G4 eMacs. We had to go with an older version, and if we
updated it it died.

The Debian install did take some messing around. It originally booted to a
black screen. I ended up having to boot a live CD of gnustep
PPC<http://io.debian.net/%7Etar/gnustep/>,
and replace the Debian xorg.conf file with the one that gnustep PPC
generated. It did take some poking around in terminal mode, but far less
than the xubuntu install did.