Bruce...

On 11/23/09 10:19 AM, "Bruce Johnson" <john...@pharmacy.arizona.edu> wrote:

> I tried cleaning mine this weekend and very nearly ruined it.
>
> My standard procedure is to spray some cleaner, like formula 409 on a
> paper towel and carefully clean the key caps with it, then soak a
> clean paper towel in isopropyl alcohol and wipe down the keys with that.

I use the small alcohol prep pads. (Being diabetic, I have an ample supply!
:-| ) They're small and it takes several for minor cleanup, but there isn't
too much liquid to deal with.

> Also, googling repairs on the things, I discovered that they're glued
> together; the feet on the bottom do NOT cover screws but are inserted
> *from the inside*.
>
> I found ONE account of someone who had successfully disassembled the
> keyboard without bending the frame or breaking the plastic by placing
> the keyboard in a 200 degree (F) oven  for a while.
>
> This web site DID NOT recount a successful RE-assembly...

Lol! "... Keyboards roasting on an open fire, Jack Frost nipping at your
nose..."

> I really REALLY love these keyboards, but...be careful out there!

I was a little skeptical at first, but yeah I like them a lot! Have several
and use one on my "big" peecee.
Last week I picked up a first generation G5 iMac and it came with one of the
older, clear and white keyboards with the USB ports on the back. What a
beast! I keep looking at the kb thinking "What's wrong with that thing??"

Amanda