On Dec 10, 2009, at 12:39 PM, Cyrus Griffin wrote:

> Well, my iMac (2.0GHz Core 2 Duo, 3Gb ram, 10.6) crashed last night,
> and when I went to boot it this morning, it starts to boot, gets to
> the grey Apple, then displays the NOT sign. I know this is a system
> problem, but nothing I've done has helped. Disk utility (Repair
> permissions, repair disk) and DiskWarrior made no difference.
>
> So my question now is, what will the Snow Leopard installer do?? If I
> was running 10.4 or 10.5, I'd just do an archive and install, with
> preserve user settings. But the 10.6 installer doesn't have those
> options... I really don't want to wipe all my info, is there some way
> to know what kind of install it's going to perform? It sure looks like
> it's going to install the system fresh... (I do have a Time capsule
> backup drive, so my info is safe... I hope...)

Cyrus or Elliott,

My late 2007 MacBook, which runs OS 10.6.2 Snow Leopard, had a problem recently
after I installed Windows 7 in a Boot Camp partition. It stopped seeing the
Hard Drive volume and replaced it with something weird called EFI Boot. I
couldn't copy the full volume with Carbon Copy Cloner because it would stop
after about 6.5 GB and say there wasn't enough memory. I guess that's what I
get for installing Windows 7, which almost two months later still is supported
because Apple hasn't updated Boot Camp 3.0 (soon, I pray).

Anyway, after trying Disk Warrior, which fixed some volume information things,
it still still wouldn't clone completely. So I reinstalled Snow Leopard. The
default for Snow Leopard apparently is archive & install as there is no
"Previous System Folder" created and all of my data is still there. So go ahead
and reinstall SL. Everything should be as it was before, except your operating
system should behave properly again.

Jim Scott