On Dec 27, 2009, at 12:39 PM, Malcolm O'Brien wrote:

> Can anyone tell me a better option? How do you install the OS
> without a
> DVD drive? Will I have to go into the Apple Store and have them fix
> it?

the correct solution is to fix the Macbook; sooner or later she'll
need a working optical drive.

> I _do_ have a Firewire-equipped enclosure into which I could put a HD.

better would be one of these :

<http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=2020&cat=CBL> and use the hd
on it with the OS X installer restored to it as per the USB stick
instructions. This is a very valuable tool to have around.

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona