I'm posting this for someone who browses the lists, but doesn't have a G-mail
account. (I hope this is all right - I read through the rules and didn't see
anything about this... Please tell me if it's not.)

He asks,

"Hello and thanks for your replies while I wade through the archives!
I'm looking at some used iMac G5 models with the 17 and 20 inch screens.
The processor versions include the 1.6, 1.8, 2.0, 1.9 and 2.1 Ghz.
Any suggestions and comments are welcome from those who own or have
knowledge of these models.
Please discuss which ones were/are prone to the LCD screen line
problems, the bad capacitors
and the pros and cons of the 17 and 20 inch screens.
Also, from what I know memory capacity on the 1.6, 1.8 and 2.0 is 2 GB.
On the 1.9 and 2.1 the capacity is 2.5 GB.
Is the bus speed higher on the 1.9 and 2.1 models?  Since the latest G5
iMacs were in preparation for the intel switch, are the later models
less effective, more problematic and hotter operating with the G5?
Please compare power comsumption and overheating problems, if any of
these models, quirks, other problems, pros and cons.
Mainly, I'd like to know which of these models is the best balance
between highest speed with memory config, dependable longevity, power
usage, lowest operating temp.  The inclusion of a TFT screen or Airport
and Bluetooth is not particularly important for my purposes.
Thanks for your time!

J."

        -Elliott Price

Quoit - Macintosh Computer Services