On Feb 12, 2010, at 2:00 AM, williamd wrote:

I recently tried to install FreeBSD 7.2 on my G4 imac using burned downloads from their site. After partitioning the 80gb hd using the auto command, installing, and rebooting i get an error something like "mount point failed." Did not know how to proceed from here so i decided to return to a version of os X. Now it will not boot to a Mac OS X cd.

That's odd. You're holding down the C key as you boot? That should force booting from the CD. Alternatively hold down the option key (with the CD in the drive) and see what comes up.

It's possible that the PRAM has gotten fubared you can try clearing it <http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379>

Here's a detailed, accessible intro to open firmware on the Mac.

<http://osxbook.com/book/bonus/ancient/whatismacosx/arch_boot.html>

Worst case scenario you can go in there and force it to the Mac boot volume.

It is likely that this stuff got messed up by the bsd install.

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona