On Tue, 2010-02-16 at 13:58 +0000, epic93d...@gmail.com wrote:
> Well, just to put in my two cents...
>
> I've used CRUX, ubuntu, fedora, and DSL linux. I've used ubuntu for
> about four years now, and it has been by far the easiest to use.
>
> Right after you install ubuntu, you can select drivers to install. If
> you have a reasonably recent machine you should be able to get
> everything you need.
>
> Codecs? Install them from the application manager
> Java? Ditto
> Flash? Same way as windows

Ubuntu is very easy to use, but remember, there is no version of Adobe
Flash for PowerPC Linux. Also, if you rely on things like Flip4Mac's
Windows Media plugin, there are no versions of the Windows Media codecs
for PowerPC Linux. Sun Java, see above. I am a die-hard Linux user, and
have it on most of my daily-use machines (Exceptions are the G5 and the
Power Macintosh 6500/250). There are limitations, though, and that's all
I have to say on the subject. I personally love it on my PowerBook G3s,
my iMac and my beige G3, not to mention my various PCs.

Best *nix for someone who wants to tinker, go with any Linux distro with
a PPC build. Best one for someone who wants it to "just work"? OS X.

Just my $0.02,
Caleb